After finally getting ahold of a Toter brand bin I finally began by priming the thing. The guy at Home Depot recommended adding a little grey to the primer to prepare for the colors. I’m not sure it helped at all- I still needed four layers of yellow to cover it.
I only bought a 64-gallon bin, as it was cheaper than the 96 gallon, and these things are not cheap. Especially when your original plan was to save money on a Coachella ticket. Needless to say, this has been such a fun experience that I don’t mind that it’s not just a free festival pass. I mean, the pass is free, but I have spent so much money on supplies, gas and spent so many hours working on this that it easily cost more than a regularly priced Coachella ticket. My advice for anyone trying to win a free ticket: do the Carpoolchella thing. Anyone looking for a fun time and an exciting challenge, enter this Global Inheritance thing.
Next up, I did a rough layer of the yellow.
I am trying to avoid redundant masking, so I am going to paint the base layers by themselves. Here you can see three colors thrown roughly where they will go. The specific borders between them will be masked in greater detail later.
Next, the masking began.
Because there were lines that needed to be created precisely on both sides of the vehicle, I can’t just draw directly on the bin. Instead, I used a technique that I have been using with T-shirts for a long time. I start by placing a sheet of Freezer Paper over the area that I want to stencil. Using a pencil, I “traced” over the invisible lines that I wanted to use.
Then, I add extra details and darken the outline that I want to keep. I use an exact-o knife to cut out the shape drawn in pencil.
Before cutting the shape out, I folded the paper in half. Opening the paper, I now had two mirror-imaged stencils. I cut them free (not pictured).
Next, the stencil was ironed to the recycle bin, using an iron set to very low setting.
The paining was finished…
Finally, I cleaned up and readied my airbrush, and used it to give some texture and dimension to the vehicle’s top. The effect came out so much nicer than I expected that I decided I will do more airbrushing.
The final thing that I have completed so far is the masking of the rest of the green. This process was longer than I thought (masking, that is). It is all of the details and and measurements that are robbing all of my time. I will post soon with my continued progress.
UP NEXT: PUTTING THE TURTLES ON THE VAN